Office summer parties are a tricky thing. After all you work with the people who’ll be attending, so you want to appear groomed and professional but you also want to be able to show off your fun side too. However getting your work wear done right every day is hard enough as it is without throwing in company functions into the mix!
Another thing to remember is that corporate summer events are like shared office Christmas parties, they’re a great opportunity to mingle, network and hopefully impress your superiors (always a good thing if you’re after that promotion!)
Hang on though because before you start grabbing things out of the closet, there are a few important things to remember. Then check the weather/forecast, even if you don’t trust the weather report. So you can prepare an umbrella and/or a classy mac just in case it does rain. Once you’ve done that remind yourself where the event is taking place. Because if it’s in a field then wearing heels might not be a good idea (trust us you don’t want to be “that girl” who looks pitiful wading through the mud in stilettos.)
Now that you’ve done your research and refreshed yourself on the details, you can get styling! So to help you out we’ve compiled a list of fashion dos and don’ts for you to keep in mind…
• Wear a pretty and practical summer dress – Dresses tend to make a better impression than any other type of outfit. So if you have a sophisticated summer dress (that you can comfortably move about in) then we suggest wearing that. That way you’ll be dressed up, confident and able to express your fun side through your clothing too. Maybe even consider adding a smart blazer on top to make the outfit more professional looking?
• Make sure your clothes fit right – ill-fitting clothes make a very bad impression and can make you look scruffy and neglectful. So make sure your outfit fits you so you won’t be self-conscious during the party.
• Pack emergency items – These include an umbrella, mints, tissues/wet wipes, female sanitary things, comb and deo. If you carry a handbag then you’ll probably have these things already, however it’s always a good idea to double check. That way if you or anyone else needs any of the above, you’ll come across as prepared and organised.
• Think about your outfit – This may be a fun day out but it’s still technically work. So enjoy yourself but maintain composure and don’t just grab the first thing from the clean clothes basket. Really think about your outfit and make sure that you look polished and presentable.
• Wear high heels/Wedges – never really a good idea on grass or on the beach (but if the event is not being held on either – then knock yourself out!) you’ll just end up walking like a duck and getting stuck in mud/getting sand in your shoe. So save yourself the embarrassment and wear some pretty flats or some fashionable sandals instead.
• Wear short skirts/short shorts – For obvious reasons. It’s an office party not a club. Your professional piers will be there and you really don’t want them raising their eyebrows at your hemline if you want them to take you seriously.
• Pile on the make-up – We’re not saying don’t wear make-up just don’t decide to get experimental with the eye shadow. Now is not the time to try and master the “smokey eye”(after months of failed attempts.) Just wear the amount you’re comfortable with and remember the aim is to look neat and professional – not like a MAC model.
• Low cut tops – Again for obvious reasons. You want to look professional and this is not the time or place to bust out mega cleavage. So if you are going to wear something lower cut, be critical because if you think the neckline is too low – it probably is.
Anyway that’s it! We hope you found our article useful (and enjoyable!)
Just remember, whether you’re going to a Bristol summer party or any other summer party for that matter – the style principles are the same. Ensure you look polished, professional, and presentable and you’ll have nothing to worry about!